Links by Road

The principal road is that from Newton to Leigh; entering at the south-west corner, and keeping near to the eastern boundary, it passes through the hamlets known as the town of Lowton, Lane Head, Lowton St. Mary's, and Lowton Common. Another road to Leigh branches off from it, keeping near the western boundary, and passing through Lowton village, Byrom, and Mossley. A cross road, lined with dwellings, passes through Lowton village and Lane Head.

-0-

 Trams

It was announced that the new tramway extension running from the Leigh Boundry to St. Mary’s Station was almost complete in April 1906

-0-

Links by Rail

Lowton station was opened on the 1 January 1847 by the North Union Railway Co.on the north side of Southworth Road running from a junction with the Manchester & Liverpool Railway Co.at Parkside to Preston. This branch was opened by the Wigan Branch Railway 3 September 1832.A merger with the Wigan & Preston Junction Railway in 1834 to form the NUR considered a joint leasing by the Grand Junction Railway and the Manchester & Leeds Railway but instead it became the London & North Western Railway 16 July 1846 which a year later became the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway

For a small village Lowton was well blessed with railway stations in 1879 the CLC built a line for goods service only connecting at Glasebrook and travelling to Manchester, and it was not until 1900 that a second curve was built connecting it to Liverpool.It was not until 1884 that a passenger service opened from Lowton St. Mary's Station which ran from Manchester to Wigan. The London and North-Western Company's Liverpool and Manchester line crosses the southern end of the township, where it is joined by a loop line connecting with the same company's main line to the north; where the primary station called Lowton Station is situated. The Great Central Company's line from Manchester to Wigan passes through the northern half of the township, and at Lowton Common is joined by the line from St. Helens (Liverpool, St. Helens, and South Lancashire Railway); and it is at this point where St. Mary's Station is situated on the east side of St. Helens Road. The stations passenger service was discontinued on 11 February 1964, and was closed completely in 1968.

-0-

SCHOOLS

St. Mary's School

On the 17th January 1863 to celebrate the opening of the new St. Mary's school, a congregational tea party was held in the largest room of the school in connection with St. Mary's church. The room was nicely decorated with green foliage, and a pretty transparency was presented over a triple evergreen arch bearing the sentiment, God Save the Queen and bless Miss Leigh (the benefactress)

-0-

CHURCHES

St. Oswald's

Winwick one of the oldest parishes in the country which once included Croft, Kenyon, Lowton, Newton, Earlstown, Ashton, Haydock and Wargrave was served by the church of St. Oswald,  named after a Christian Prince of that name. There was a church on this site and recorded in the Domesday Book survey of 1086.

St. Luke's

A commission of 1650 thought that considering the distance parishioners had to travel to worship at St. Oswalds, a church should be built at Lowton. It took a further 80 years before 27 freeholders of the town agreed, that 11 acres of land should be used for the erection of a Chapel of Ease and a schoolhouse, to be situated near the Locking Stoops, this was known as the Lowton Chapel Agreement 1 December 1731. The Chapel was completed by 1872, but not consecrated until St. Luke's Day 18 October 1873 by the Bishop of Chester

St. Mary's

With the increase of the population around Lowton Common mainly due to the building of Knott's Factory, considering the distance to St. Luke's Church, services were held in a house later known as the Church Inn. At this time Lowton was all one parish, but the need of a separate church was raised and promoted by the M.P... William J. Leigh and a patroness Miss Mary Leigh of Hale provided most of the money for the building of a church and a school. The architect was Edward G. Paley of Lancaster and the builder James Fairclough of Wigan who completed the task before May 1860. A further 18 months was taken to equip and furnish the building which was opened and consecrated on the 21st November 1861 by the Bishop of Chester.

 Independent Methodist Church

Nonconformity has always been strong in Lowton and Methodist meetings were held in cottages as far back as 1780, they continued in Lowton Hall Fold and at Yew Tree Farm and Gilded Hollins Farm, A school chapel was built in 1794 on land donated by Richard Eckersley on Lowton Common in 1794. Following a compulsory plan of receiving sixpence entrance at the door the congregation diminished and the Chapel was closed for weeks at a time. A new faction arose to take over the Chapel in the form of the Independent Quaker Methodists and soon a new place had to be built, and a new school chapel was opened in 1834. This new chapel proved so popular that a third place had to be built, and was opened in November 1849.The Wesleyan cause prospered and the present Chapel was built on land near the site of the old building which opened on 26 March 1880

Lowton Primitive Methodists Chapel

The first Primitive Methodist meetings were held in a house near the junction of Newton Road and Winwick Lane around 1825. As the congregation grew a larger building was needed but money was in short supply. One of the brethren a bricklayer, offered to build the chapel if they would supply the bricks and a small Chapel cum Sunday School was erected on  Winwick Lane. When the congregation outgrew the seating capacity of the building, a new and more commodious Chapel was built on the corner of Newton Road and Winwick Lane which was completed in 1880 and consecrated in 1881. The old building was retained as a Sunday School until 1914 when it was sold to Lowton District Council, to be used as a garage and store room.The Chapel was demolished in 1985.

-0-

Census of St. Mary's Parish 1874

Rev. James Simpson vicar of St. Mary's Lowton has produced a detailed census of the parish of St. Mary. From this we find that the adult population of the parish is 887 their status being:- Leading families including the vicar 3; teachers 2; farmers with holdings over 20 acres 2; farmers with holdings of 10-20 acres 4; farmers with holdings of 3/4-9 acres 18; shopkeepers 6; silk weavers 165; factory operatives 49; colliers 69; labourers 92; females attending to household duties 66; brick makers, joiners, shoemakers, glass workers and other operatives 35. Their are only 5 domestic servants in the area, the rateable value of which is £1588.

-0-

Removal Of The Toll Bar

A meeting was held at the Rams Head Lowton which was well attended, for the removal of the toll bar at Lane Head, a memorial was sent to the Home Secretary. I reply stated that after consultation with the Guardians of the Toll Gates its removal would be deffered until 1879.

-0-

Flooding in Lowton 1878

A petition by the rate payers of Lowton was made to have the road raied, and to make other provisions to prevent the flooding of Houghton Court which is rendered impassable in times of heavy rain was made

-0-