ASTLEY

Astley is a settlement within the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in Greater Manchester, England, variously described as a suburb or a village. Astley lies on flat land to the northwest of the city of Manchester, and is crossed by the Bridgewater Canal and the A580 "East Lancashire Road". It forms a continuous urban area with neighbouring Tyldesley, and is equidistant from Wigan and Manchester city centre, both 8.3 miles (13.4 km) away. The Astley Mosley Common ward of Wigan MBC, which covers both settlements, had a population of 11,654 in the 2001 Census.Historically a part of Lancashire, the name Astley is derived from Old English, indicating Anglo-Saxon settlement. It means "east Leigh" or "east of Leigh", a reference to Astley's location relative to the town of Leigh; or ēastlēah the "eastern wood or clearing". Throughout the Middle Ages, Astley constituted a township within the parish of Leigh and hundred of West Derby. Astley first appears in written form as Asteleghe in 1210, when its lord of the manor granted land to the religious order of Premonstratensian canons at Cockersand Abbey.Medieval and Early Modern Astley is distinguished by the dignitaries who occupied Damhouse, the local manor house around which a settlement expanded. The newly extended Bridgewater Canal reached Astley in 1795, and the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in 1830. The Industrial Revolution introduced mechanised coal mining and the factory system to the region in and around Astley, triggering its expansion. The village's only cotton mill was built in 1833.Mining subsidence coupled with structural and political changes to the mining industry began the decline in Astley's industrial activities during the mid-20th century; its cotton mill closed in 1955, and the last coal was brought to the surface in 1970. However, Astley has grown as part of a commuter belt, supported by its proximity to Manchester city centre and inter-city transport links. Astley Green Colliery Museum houses collections of Astley's industrial heritage.

-0-

Charities

Mort's Charity from c.1767 provided a Grammer School and the sum of £35 per annum to educate 24 poor children from the village

The Travers Charity was that six poor persons selected by the Wardens were to receive the charity, in 1867 the combined ages of the people selected amounted to 483 years, the youngest being 73 years and the oldest 96 years of age.

-0-

Links by Roads

The village is traversed by the main road leading from Leigh to Manchester, and stands three-quarters of a mile to the north of the Bridgewater Canal from Worsley to Leigh, which traverses the township from east to west. The hamlet of Astley Green lies scattered along a straight highway with level fields on either hand, consisting of meadow land and pasture, with occasional fields of potatoes and oats. This highway leads from the village of Astley towards Chat Moss, and to the Astley station on the Manchester and Warrington section, which is a distance of two miles from the village.

-0-

Links by Rail

A railway station was opened in Astley by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway Co. at the end of Rindle Road around 1845. Initially it would probably would have been a stop at a gated crossing or a cottage where tickets could be purchased but towards the latter end of the century it boasted a two platform station with  wooden waiting rooms and a booking office. The station was closed on the 7 July 1958 and finally demolished in 1972.

-0-

-0-

Schools

In February 1867 the residents of Astley petitioned, that the old Mort's Charity Grammer School bequeathed by Adam Mort c1667 to educate 24 poor children from an income of £34 per annum be pulled down, enlarged and resited. This created a problem because the endowment stipulated that it could not be removed to any other school. so until this legality could be resolved the school would have to remain in situ.

-0-

Housing

In 1875 the Astley and Tyldesley Coal Co. constructed some 50 cottages for the accommodation of their colliers near to Meanley Farm and close to the "Gin Pit"

A Water Supply For Astley 1893

The need for a direct supply of water did not arise in Astley until around 1893 when an agreement was made with Tyldesley to supply water for a period of 30 years. This arrangement terminated in 1923 when Astley got it's water supply direct from Manchester.

-0-

Removal of Astley Shooting Range

 The shooting range at Astley used by the Manchester Brigade, was removed to Risley Moss near Glazebrook in 1889 where shooting accommodation was provided for 3-4000 men from local and other Volunteer Regiments

-0-

TYLDESLEY

Tyldesley is a town within the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, in Greater Manchester, England.It occupies an area north of Chat Moss near the foothills of the West Pennine Moors, 7.7 miles (12.4 km) east-southeast of Wigan and 8.9 miles (14.3 km) west-northwest of the city of  Manchester. Historically a part of Lancashire, Tyldesley and its surroundings have provided evidence for the remains of a Roman road passing through the area on the ancient course between Coccium (Wigan) and Mamucium (Manchester).Following the Anglo Saxon invasion of Britain, Tyldesley was part of the manor of Warrington, until the Norman conquest of England, when Tyldesley constituted a township called Tyldesley-with-Shakerley in the ancient parish of Leigh. The factory system, and textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution, triggered a process of population growth and urbanisation in the area, such that by the early 20th century it was said that the newly emerged mill town was "eminently characteristic of an industrial district whose natural features have been almost entirely swept away to give place to factories, iron foundries, and collieries" Although industrial activity declined in the late 20th century, land reclamation and post war residential developments have continued to alter Tyldesley's landscape, and have encouraged renewed economic activity, particularly along Elliott Street—Tyldesley's central commercial area .

-0-

Sale of the Manor of Tyldesley in 1836.


An advertisement in May, 1836, notified the sale by auction, at Tyldesley, on the 1st of June following, of the estates thus described:—

1. The Manor or reputed Manor of Shakerley cum-Tyldesley, Co. Lancaster, with various farms and lands in the township, containing together 514 acres of land, statute measure  and the valuable mines of Coal and Stone lying -under the same; also yearly chief rents, amounting to £1 13s. 4d ;and Pews in the Parish Church of Leigh,
2. A valuable farm and lands in Little Hulton, containing 65 statute acres of land, with the mines of Goal and Stone vinder, &c., and yearly chief rents amounting to £15 14s. Id.3. The Great and Small Tithes of various farms and lands in Tyldesley-cum-Shakerley.These properties are described in the advertisement as being advantageously situated, about four miles from Bolton and one from Leigh ; the land of excellent quality and tithe-free, &o. The estates abound with thriving young timber. The mines of coal inexhaustible, and of excellent quality, and being in a manufacturing district, commanded                                                                                                                                                            
3.The great and small tithes of various farms and land in Tildesley-cum Shackerley  These properties are advantageous, situated about 4 miles from Bolton and 1 from Leigh; the land is of excellent quality and is tithe free. The estates abound with thriving young timber. The mines and coal inexhaustible, and of excellent quality, and being in a manufacturing district, commanded a ready sale, which would be vastly increased should the projected North Line of Railroad, betwixt Liverpool and Manchester, be proceeded with.                                                                                 These properties are advantageous, situated about 4 miles from Bolton and 1 from Leigh; the land is of excellent quality and is tithe free. The estates abound with thriving young timber. The mines and coal inexhaustible, and of excellent quality, and being in a manufacturing district, commanded a ready sale, which would be vastly increased should the projected North Line of Railroad, betwixt Liverpool and Manchester, be proceeded with.

-0-

Links By Road

The town of Tyldesley is situate on the main road between Manchester, Hindley, and Wigan, near the western boundary of the township and on the northern side of the Eccles.

-0-

Links by Train

Opening of the New Railway

The date for the ceremony of opening the new railway between Eccles, Tyldesley and Wigan with the branch at Leigh, is finally fixed for Wednesday 24 August 1864, although passenger traffic will not commence until the 1 September. A special train containing the Chairman and Directors of the London & North Western Railway Co.with friends and supporters of the line, will leave Manchester Victoria station and proceed along the new line, taking up the invited guests at stations on the way. The engine and carriages will be gaily decorated, and the several new stations will be dressed in holiday colours. The train will on its return journey, halt at Tyldesley, which will be the grand centre of the days festivities. There a luncheon will be served to the guests in a large room kindly placed at the companies service by Mr. E. Burton (Burton's Mill). If the day should be fine, Tyldesley will present a very gay scene quite worthy of this important event in the towns history.

Opening Of the New Railway at Tyldesley

Wednesday August 4th 1864 will ever be an important day in the annals of Tyldesley and district. Shut out for long periods from the advantages of communication which have so remarkably aided the resources of other small places. Tyldesley has nevertheless continued to grow and prosper in a surprising manner. A few of the more influential businessmen in Tyldesley, about four years ago succeeded in inducing the most powerful Railway Co. (the London North Western) to take the matter in hand. There will now be no less than 14 trains daily between Manchester and Tyldesley. The several towns in our district are now within several minutes journey of each other. The event was happily inaugurated by the inhabitants of Tyldesley who proved themselves equal to the occasion.

     The total length of the line including a branch from Tyldesley to Bradshawleach is a little over 16 miles and its cost exclusive of the land is £250,000 or over £15,000 a mile, its line did not present any engineering difficulties, but there are under it or over it 88 bridges. At Bedford Leigh there is a viaduct 350 yards in length consisting of 22 arches of from 25-30 foot span, and 4 larger spaces spanned by iron girders. About 2,000,000 cubic yards of earth have been excavated in the construction of the line. Near Tyldesley there is a long, but not too deep, cutting through the upper red sandstone; but as a rule the rail runs on embankments, at a considerable elevation giving passengers a commanding view of the scenery. There are no serious gradients, the ruling gradient being 1 in 100, though there is an incline of 1 in 80 between Tyldesley and Hindley Green. The new line was laid out by William Baker engineer and constructed by Mr. Treadwell contractor. The first sod was cut on Wednesday September 11th 1861 by the Earl of Ellesmere at Worsley. The line consists of two portions one 12½ miles in length and the other 31½ miles in length. The longer portion leaves the Manchester Liverpool Railway between Eccles and Patricroft station and joins the North Union Railway at Spring Branch a mile and a half from Wigan station; the shorter portion (branch) leaves the main line at Tyldesley; and terminates at a junction with the Bolton and Kenyon Railway at Bradshaw Leach. The new stations and the distance between them Worsley 1½ miles from Eccles; Ellenbrook 2½ miles from Worsley; Tyldesley 2½ miles from Ellenbrook; Tyldesley 1¼ miles from Chowbent; Hindley Green 1¾ miles from Chowbent; Platt Bridge 2½ miles from Hindley Green; the distance between Platt Bridge and Spring Branch being ¾ of a mile. On the branch the stations are Bedford Leigh 2 miles from Tyldesley; and Bradshaw Leach 1/½ miles from Bedford Leigh; between Chowbent and Hindley Green the main line crosses the Kenyon and Bolton line, of course some distance northward of where the branch joins it at Bradshaw Leach. There are goods stations at Tyldesley and Bedford Leigh. The Worsley station is situated in the cutting near the main road, and is built of white bricks, the heads of windows and doors are arched over in alternate white, red and blue bricks. The angles are neatly moulded in brickwork. The accommodation consists of two first and second class waiting rooms, a spacious booking office etc. There is a large waiting shed on the down side built in the same style as the station. The platforms are upward of 800 feet in length with red and blue tiles, with stone borders and are roofed over with a light glass roof affording protection to the passengers. The approach from the main road is a gentle descent and the Bridgewater Trustees are opening a new road leading to the railway road, which will doubtless at no distant period lead to the erection of villa residences. Ellenbrook, Hindley and Platt Bridge have each a small neat timber station, with commodious platforms affording ample accommodation. Tyldesley possesses a very pretty station with the same conveniences and arrangement as Worsley, but constructed of timber. The station at Leigh (called Bedford Leigh) as a distinction from the old station consists of a spacious and convenient booking office under one of the arches, with waiting rooms adjoining the platform. There are separate staircases for the up and down trains. Bradshaw Leach station has been remodelled and improved. The various stations have been erected by Mr. Parnell of Rugby under the able superintendence of Mr. W. Smith.

     A special train was in readiness at Manchester 12: 30, engine, luggage van and 18 carriages all tastefully decorated. A saloon carriage was set apart for the company chairman Richard Moor and the company directors. Another carriage was set aside for the band of the 60th (Atherton) Rifle Volunteer Band whose services had been retained for the day. The train started to the inspiring strains of the band and a percussive Feu de Joie from the fog signals exploded by the engine driver, and the bells of the Salford church pealed. At 12:48 the pioneer train made its first entrance upon the new line at Monton Green junction. The next station after leaving Worsley was Ellenbrook reached at 1:02. The train reached Tyldesley at 1:09 where multitudes gathered with bells sounding joyfully, banners and flags fluttered over the sound of the Ellenbrook Yeomanry Band and a battery of three field guns gave an intermittent salute. The view from Tyldesley station is magnificent, with open country stretching as far as the eye can see. The train reached Leigh station at 1:21 but there were few signs of rejoicing. The junction at Bradshaw Leach was reached at 1:33. The train halted between the points, and an engine in waiting attached itself and the train then left at 1:38 and arrived at Tyldesley at 1:49. The amateur field gun battery had been strengthened by two mortars with the men running hastily backward after lighting the fuses. The train left for Wigan at 1:53 arriving at Chowbent in 4 minutes with flags that announced “Welcome to Great Britain” inspiring misgivings of the geographical position of Atherton. The line crosses the Bolton Kenyon; which is connected by a short branch opening up a communication with Bolton, Hindley Green station. Platt Bridge is the next station. After passing, that line terminates at Spring Branch where a junction is affected with the North Union Line to Wigan where the party arrived at 2:20. Visitors from Preston joined here and returned to Tyldesley which was reached at 2:40. The passengers then left the train and marched in procession headed by the 60th Rifles Band and 2,100 Sunday school children. There was also the Worsley Yeomanry Band, Tyldesley Church School Drum & Fife Band and the Mosley Band. The reception was held at Burton’s new mill.

 

Bill of Fare

Soups; Mock Turtle and Julienne

Pickled Salmon - Salmon en Mayonnaise

Roast Beef, Roast Rib Beef, Pressed Corn Beef, Hams Decorated

Tongue, Game Pies, Pigeon Pies, Forequarters of Lamb, Galantines of Veal

Braised Turkey, Chicken en Béchamel, Roast Fowl, Capons, Roast Duckling, Grouse

Lobsters, Lobster Salad, Dressed Crabs

Entremets

Gelee en Macedoine auv Fruits, Gelee de Madere, Gelee Victoria, Suedoise of Grapes

Crème d Apricot, Charlotte a la Celestine, Gateaux a la Neapolitan, Tourts au Comfitare

Desert

Pines, Grapes, Peaches, Apricots, Nectarines, Plums, Pears, Apples etc

Wines

Champagne Roederer’s Carte Blanch, Sparkling Hock, Sparkling Moselle

Claret, Sherry, Port

 

Tyldesley station was opened to passengers on the 1 September 1864 at the bottom of Waring Street and its conception was as much influenced  and motivated by local coal owners, as the townspeople's  need to travel. It was situated on the Tyldesley and Wigan branch of the London and North Western Railway Co. where at a junction to the west of the station the line headed north west, and the branch to Bedford (Leigh), Pennington and Kenyon Junction headed south west. A branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway from Pendleton to Hindley also passed through Shakerley about one mile from the town. The station closed on the 5 May 1969.

A New Station for Tyldesley 1873

The directors of the London Northwestern Railway have voted £20,000 to be expended at Tyldesley, in the purchase of additional land for goods traffic, the erection of a new station and the laying down of two additional width of rails through the station. The new station will be opposite the street now running down towards the railway, and is intended to be one of the ornaments of the town. An underground passage is to be made for passengers wishing to cross to the other side of the railway. Different people have other opinions who prefer a bridge to an underground passage as it is more readily used.

. -0-

Links By Tram

A tramway linking the town of Tyldesley with Atherton, Leigh and Bolton was introduced in 1902. The line was extended to Boothstown in April 1905 and later to Swinton where passengers changed to the Salford line for Manchester. The tram system lasted until August 1931 when a decision was made to chance to the more versatile petrol buses.

Tyldesley Library

The Temperance Hall and Mechanics Institute was built in Stanley Street in 1851 at a cost of £500 as a place for meetings and educational classes. By 1856 a library of some 400 volumes were collected by the Institute to enhance literacy in the town. Further progress was made in 1908, when the Town Council taking advantage of the Carnegie grant, erected a new building which was to be the towns public library. The collection of books from the Institute and those of the Tyldesley Co-operative Society were merged into this new venture which was opened on the 18th December 1909.

A Water Supply for Tyldesley 1867

With the expansion of the population, the numerous wells that served the town of Tyldesley were found to be inadequate. Local springs were found to be of insufficient quantity and of dubious quality. In 1867 the town council made agreement with the City of Manchester for a weekly supply of water, this lasted until 1903 when further expansion and growth of the town forced the council to approach Manchester again to supply additional quantities of water to fulfil it's needs.

-0-

Flags and Sewer Pipes 1867

Tyldesley Board agreed that kerbs 12" x 7" be laid in front of shops in Elliot Street between numbers 93 and 104 inclusive, and the owners of the said property to be requested to flag the remainder of the width of the footpath. Consideration was also to be made to the laying of sewer pipes

-0-

The Opening of Tyldesley Baths 1876


Tyldesley baths were opened for the first time on Saturday 1 July 1876, 100 persons attended and 16s 101/2 was taken at the door. On Monday no less than 300 people attended and £4 15s 4d was taken. A slight relaxation of charge was made when a grimy little urchin turned up at the door with only half a penny.

-0-

Tyldesley Gas Works 1880

Tenders for a new gas works – Nineteen tenders for a new gas works to be built in Tyldesley ranging from £9,500 to £6,400 were submitted. The tender of William Heely of Salford was accepted

-0-

New Sewage Farm 1881

A new sewage far was being built in Tyldesley in 1881, the work was contracted to a Mr Noden who had two men continually pumping out water before they could start the brickwork.

-0-

Closing of the Church Burial Grounds 1881

From the local burial board - No new burial ground to be opened in the undermentioned without the prior consent of the Secretary of State, and all burials should be discontinued without exception and forthwith, and entirely in St. George and Lady Huntington and the Wesleyan Chapel Tyldesley, and all others and with the exception of in such vaults and walled graves that exist in the churchyard, burials can be allowed on condition that every coffin buried therein, be separately enclosed by stonework or brickwork properly cemented. In such earthen graves now existing in this graveyard as can be opened to a depth of 5 feet, without exposing coffins or disturbing human remains, burials may be allowed of so many relatives of those already interred therein, namely widows, widowers, parents or unmarried children to a depth previously stated. On those reserved grave spaces that have not previously received burials, and that when opened do not contain water and to families whose number has been allotted, to a depth of 5 feet.

-0-